  • Subject: Re: CA TCP/IP sessions staying active after abnormal reboot
  • From: Larry Bolhuis <lbolhui@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 16:05:03 -0500

Diana,

  We have taclked this situation in two different manners, which works depends
on your environment.  Of course we played with the timer in Telnet that APPEARS
to be the solution for this problem that sends a 'keep alive' packet every so
often and if it gets no response it supposed to end those sessions, but it
didn't ever seem to do anything.

  SO method A) is to send an entry to a dataqueue during job initiaation
including the IP address of the PC signing on.  A background job then reads the
DQ and attempts to PING the station. If the ping is successfull then the message
is placed back on the DQ and the next is tried.  If there is no response, the
job is ended *IMMED and the DQ entry is discarded.  THe only problem here was
when there were slow dialup connections involved and large data transfers were
in use (downloads or Printing). In this case we had some 'friendly kills'.  THis
solution does allow for multiple signons for the same individual.  This solution
does not require the user to do anything for the 'dangling' job to end.

  Method B) is to lock a data area with the same name as the user profile and
hold it until the job ends. In the data area are placed the full job name for
use later. The second attemp to sign on also attempts to lock the data area.
When it cannot this indicates a previous job still exists.  So we read the data
area contents and end the job with that name *IMMED.  Then we wait until we can
lock the data area and then proceed.  This solution does not require any
background job, but does limit each user to being signed on only once. Also if
the user never signs back on the previous job is not automatically ended.

  Hope this helps.

   - Larry

--
Larry Bolhuis         |
Arbor Solutions, Inc  | Two rules to success in life: