> Anyway - the attendance was _very_ poor.  Even COMMON's numbers (of which we
> heard several versions during the week) the lowest of which was about 2,800
> seemed high to me based on the amount of "traffic" - Don would have a better

Jon,  what they said at MOM was that they were shooting for 2800 and
missed the target by %25...

> To me the two most significant statements that I heard were a heart-felt
> complaint from one attendee that in spite of volunteering at several
>conferences

(MAJOR snip...)

I'm not exactly sure how to reply on this one.  Frankly, there's a bunch
of
folks out there that not only depend on Al's soundoff to not only inform
the populace, but to add noise to the argument...and let's face it, IBM
answers to buck$.  BUT, I also recall standing behind a guy from New
Orleans at the Anaheim Common while he blasted Common at SOundoff...  Yes,
I can see her point, but as she so well demonstrated at both MOM and
Soundoff, ANYONE that get's in the queue can have their say...  I still
remember the first missive that I shot accross the IBM bows.  At that time
I was a nobody...some think I still am...:)

I also recall some of the first blasts that I sent out at a MOM...this and
actually sticking with my cannons/guns has finally brought forth a
cohesion between the Local User Groups (LUGs), Common, IBM and the
industry for our own common good that I hope like heck is NOTHING BUT PURE
SUCCESS for all of us.  But, it's taken alot of work, it's been up hill,
but if it's worth anything , it's worth fighting for....

BUT, in both cases and in those of many others, it all starts with what
she did at those two meetings...get up, state your case and demand
results.  And, you have to believe in your case enough to develop and
support your own ideas.   But then, that's not only Common, that's LIFE!

Don in DC