  • Subject: Re: Connecting satellite locations via the Internet
  • From: email@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (James W Kilgore)
  • Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 09:50:32 -0800

Sorry, I missed the part about T1's at the host site.  I read it as
frame instead of T1's

I've had people sold on the idea of frame and been sadly disappointed
with response time.

My point was that ISDN guarantees 64k per channel for about the same
money as a frame node.  It ups to 128k upon demand.

For backup, the remotes have an NT box with Wingate running to a dialup
connection.  Although the staff at the remote sites are not technical,
they can be taught how to double click an icon.

The cost at each remote site is $125 install (one time), $700
router/modem (one time), ISP $85/month, telco $85/month.  The remotes
use the same ISP as the host which seems to reduce the number of hops.
Ping has a 40-50ms turnaround.  This buys us 250 hours/month which
handles business hours easily.

I just did a trace from a remote ISDN node, 1-remote router 2-ISP 3-host
router.

We have not faced the issue of prioritizing traffic.  We disabled the
browser so there is no web surfing.  Not on company time.  We don't have
the staff size at remotes as you do, but this scenario has worked well
for us.

I'm happy for you that it's working well in your situation.  For the
cost/throughput, I'm hesitant to recommend frame when ISDN can get you
there at twice the speed for a comparable cost.

Regards,
James W. Kilgore
email@James-W-Kilgore.com

Lurton Keel wrote:

> To start with, I don't think you and I are talking about the same thing.  I
> am talking about a frame relay network where we have 75 remote nodes
> connected and 2 T-1 out of the frame cloud to our LAN here.
> The cost is less than $600 per month for a fully monitored remote 56kb node
> including leasing the router and modems .  The T-1's on this end are
> $285/month (we are right beside the POP).  The monitoring on this end is
> about $500/month.  We have a 32k PVC guaranteed on the 56k and we can turn
> that up to more within 72 hours.
<<snip>>