  • Subject: Re: AS/400 security ignored
  • From: Randy Mangham <randym69@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 08:25:31 -0800

Brian,

Years ago I was an EDP security auditor for a bank and this is indeed a SERIOUS
hole in security. Only a very few profiles should have *SECOFR authority at all
and they should NOT be profiles which are used in the normal course of business.
I.E. users should NOT be signing on with such profiles EXCEPT to perform
security
officer type duties. The users who have such authority should be required to
sign
a document indicating that they are aware of the extent of the authority those
profiles give them and that they accept responsibility for the use/misuse of
those profiles. The highest level of auditing should be turned on. BTW, are you
running at security level 40 or even 50? Absolutely NO profile used for FTP
should have *SECOFR authority. How much training in system administration has
this ES/9000 guy had? If the bank shortchanged him on training that isn't an
excuse but it would indicate how cheap the bank management really is.
(Potentially throwing away thousands to save pennies.) Who in the bank
management
is ultimately responsible for security including EDP security? Did the folks at
Jack Henry give any kind of training in system administration or security or
does
their documentation give pointers? They are a reputable company long in the
business of banking software.

If, after your best efforts, you cannot convince this individual (or your
management) of the need to make the machine as tight as possible, you should go
to the EDP auditors at the FDIC and report this organization. Believe me, that
will get management's attention. The FDIC (and the Comptroller of the Currency)
can (and will) create serious regulatory problems. Given the tight scrutiny that
banking companies and their subsidiaries are under vis a vis Y2K exposures, the
regulators will fry this bank for leaving any openings for financial
defalcations
to occur as any thief could just wait until the Y2K rollover and let his/her
thievery be blamed on that. If you don't do all that you can with the awareness
level that you have, there is always the possibility you could be blamed for NOT
informing the regulators. Document every conversation you have with anyone in
management (or even the individual involved). Preferably do your communications
in writing. There is a Federal law protecting "whistle blowers" if you have to
go
that far but hopefully you can get management or this individual to do that
right
thing.

Randy Mangham
Pacific Crest Consulting