  • Subject: Re: New PC - What MS OS?
  • From: DAsmussen@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 14:42:16 EST

All,

cgalgano@ediconsulting.com writes:

> You can get an FTP server like War-FTP (share-free ware) from
>  www.tucows.com.
>  Otherwise in my opinion it is a toss up, they are both MS products and in
my
>  opinion, neither is rock solid stable.  Gee, too bad the AS400 OS/400 is
not
>  ready to run on the desktop.

I have "The History of the Windows OS" installed, mainly because I wanted to
upgrade but had to continue support for "back level" clients.  By the time all
the clients upgraded, the machines weren't worth selling so I still have them
and the kids get a kick out of having a PC in their rooms.  The 386/SX DOS box
is the most stable, too bad you can't get new software for it anymore ;-).
The 486/66 with 3.1 is next.  The P200 running 4.0, service pack 3, of
NT/Workstation is third in stability, and I have found packages that crash
under '95 and '98 crash _less_ on NT.  I'd install NT on the Thinkpad 765D,
but some PCMCIA cards still have problems with NT so I'm sticking with the '95
that it came with -- crashes fairly frequently, and something just wiped out
my sound although I haven't installed anything recently.  The new P450 running
'98 is the least stable of all, but I haven't had time to call Compaq and see
what wiping the hard drive would do to my warranty.

If you must go Win, I'd suggest NT/Workstation 4.0.  It networks more easily
and is more stable than '95 or '98.  The biggest gripe I've had is that
_NOTHING_ ships with NT drivers, so anytime you install new hardware you have
to go to the web and download an NT driver for it.  I got a two CD set for the
HP OfficeJet Pro 1150C printer/scanner/copier, but no NT drivers.  Since OS/2
seems to be a "goner", perhaps check into Red Hat's version of Linux if you
want stability...

JMHO,

Dean Asmussen
Enterprise Systems Consulting, Inc.
Fuquay-Varina, NC  USA
E-Mail:  DAsmussen@aol.com

"There are no shortcuts to any place worth going." -- Beverly Sills