"Alex Moore" <alexm@ellishosiery.com> wrote:

>DST (Dedicated Service Tools) User ID and Password are
>documented in one of the few remaining paper manuals you
>should have received with your system.  Probably not a good
>idea to post the default, but it's really not that hard to find.

Actually it's already been posted, but it's not really a secret. In any
case security systems that rely on published information remaining secret
from those who would misuse it are extremely dangerous. The onus is on each
installation to change the default themselves or make an informed decision
not to. If you've changed the default and you've lost it, but you can still
sign on somewhere as QSECOFR, you can change it with the CHGDSTPWD command.
If you've lost the ability to use either QSECOFR or DST then you have
problems.

>All IBM service reps know the default, and should be informed
>of (or have access to) each machine's value.

I don't agree that access to DST for the service reps should be that open.
If the sevice rep needs access then he's given the password for that
machine on site. As soon as he leaves it's changed, and back it goes in a
sealed envelope in the data safe, or whatever your procedure happens to be.

Dave Kahn, ABB Steward Ltd.