Ahaa.  The twinax demon is at work on Jeff's head.  Beware of the
jabberwocky too.  I suspect bad twinax cabling because, even though it
works fine, when you touch it, it fails.  Perform the following two tests:

1.  Using the eraser end of a pencil, push down on the male pins in the
connector.  They should be firm and not budge or recede back into the
connector housing.  If it recedes then you have a problem.

2.  At each junction, hold the twinax cable just below the connector and
see if the connector will twist at all on the end of the cable.  It should
be rock solid.  If it moves, it's suspect.  The braid is not properly
clamped by the connector.

Twinax is weird in that problems manifest themselves at other places in the
line than where the problem exists.

HTH,

Jerry

At 10:16 AM 2/24/99 -0500, you wrote:
>I guess one has never seen it all because I saw a new one yesterday and
>today. <g>
>
>I got a new IBM 6400 printer yesterday.  My twinax port 0 cabling looks
>like this:
>
>       Console (3180 display) at address 0
>       Printer (Anzac 5080) at address 1
>       Printer (Anzac 3017) at address 2
>
>The above is also the _physical_ cabling device order.  I set this new
>printer to address 3 and tried to physically cable it in between the 2
>existing printers on port 0.  All 3 devices were powered off during
>these attempts.
>
>It wouldn't work.  When I would power the console back on, there was no
>display.  Doing a WRKCFGSTS at another display showed the console as
>SIGNON DISPLAY, but the console screen was blank.  I didn't even try the
>2 existing printers.  No print device was autoconfigured for the new
>printer.  It was as if the twinax card in the new printer was DOA or
>something.

>This morning I tried something different.  I had an open port (port 7)
>on the AS/400 with no devices on it.  I ran a cable from this port on
>the AS/400 to the new printer and powered it on.  The AS/400
>autoconfigured it just as I expected, device type 4234 address 3.  I
>have not tried recabling it into the port 0 string where I really want
>it.
>
>Has anyone seen this?  Is there some restriction on port 0 (other than
>address 0 for the console) that I evidently don't know about?  Is this
>new printer so new that it won't coexist on the same port with that
>ancient 3180 and Anzac printers? <g>  Will the AS/400 not autoconfigure
>on port 0?
>
>Thanks for any help.
>
>--
>-Jeff
>
>jlcrosby@fwi.com
>+---
>+---

Jerry Draper, Trilobyte Software Systems, since 1976
Specializing in connecting PC's, Windows, MAC's, and LAN's to the AS/400
Representing Synapse, Apple, IBM, UDS, Nlynx, MI, DCI, Netsoft, etc.
(415) 457-3431; (415) 258-1658fax; jdraper@wco.com