Be careful here. getdomainname and gethostname will retrieve the
AS/400's domain name and host name as set up via CHGTCPDMN. You could
use this as long as you're sure the PC's either have this name and the
correct IP address in their hosts table or DNS server table. The
gethostid only returns the IP address previously set by a sethostid
function and is not appropriate for what you want. Remember the AS/400
can be a multi-homed machine and as such does NOT have a single unique
IP address. If you need an IP address you'll have to retrieve that from
the interface definition.

By the way, we have a number of customers that already use the technique
you  describe of creating FTP script files and .BAT files on the fly to
send to remote PC's. This is a nice way to start jobs on a PC that need
to process files you've just downloaded. You can even use port
"tickling" mechanisms to be notified when these BAT jobs end.