  • Subject: RE: CASE tools, anyone?
  • From: Roger Boucher <RBoucher@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 14:45:13 -0800

I spent a few years using ASSET at Toshiba.  They made it the standard
for programming and all new development.  I thought it was fairly easy
to use and produced some very standardized code that you could tweak
easily once you got used to it.  In general CASE products may not
produce the most efficient code due to the higher level approach to
programming and the loss of low level control (see also JDEdwards code
produced by their proprietary CASE tool).  And it did have some slight
limitations to work around if I remember correctly.  In general I didn't
feel it was a whole lot more productive that just writing the RPG from
scratch but it would be a benefit if the level of talent on your
programming staff varies widely.  I used to call it a glorified subfile
generator.  Hope that helps?

Roger Boucher
Standard Pacific Corp.
rboucher@stanpac.com