  • Subject: RE: Stupid AS/400 web site tricks
  • From: Sinjin DeVoe <sinjin_dv@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 14:38:19 -0800 (PST)

I've been "lurking" on MIDRANGE-L for only a couple of weeks, and this
is my first post. But I had to respond to this thread.

Roger Pence wrote:
"Quick now: there is an AS/400 Telnet SSL Proxy server available for
download from IBM on the Internet. Can you quickly find it by
searching AS/400 or IBM web sites? (NO FAIR USING THIRD-PARTY SEARCH
ENGINES SUCH AS SEARCH400.COM OR SOURCE400.COM!--THEY, UNLIKE IBM,
MAKE IT RELATIVELY EASY TO FIND--THAT IS, IF YOU KNOW TO USE THEM IN
THE FIRST PLACE)."

WHAT!?!?!?!?!?!?

First - I'm surprised that you would even mention Source400
(www.source400.com) and Search400 (www.search400.com) in the same
sentence! Source400 doesn't help you find anything on the IBM site!
Because when you choose to search against only IBM's site, all
source400 does is pass the query on to IBM's search engine, which is
the atrocity that started this whole thread.

Second - To use the best example I know of, search for "domino" on
Source400 and not one of their first 10 results even mentions the
AS/400 (3 are for pizza delivery, 1 is a graphic design studio in
Estonia, and 1 is for Fats Domino fans).

Search for "domino" on searhc400 and their first 10 results are:
1. AS/400 DOMINO DECISIONS"
2. SG24-5181 Lotus Domino for AS/400 - Installation, Customization,
Administration
3. AS/400 Domino advisor
4. Lotus Domino for AS/400
5. What's in Domino for AS/400?
6. AS/400 Domino advisor
7. Domino for AS/400 Navigation Bar
8. Domino for AS/400
9. Domino for AS/400
10. AS/400 Domino advisor

Just my $.02!

Sinjin DeVoe
Systems Analyst
Intouch Digital Publishing

---"BORING, David" <dboring@shl.com> wrote:

> I don't think this only applies to the AS/400 portion of IBM's web
site. I
> tried to find some information about an older 5250 emulation card on
IBM's

MIDRANGE-L-UNSUB@midrange.com.
david@midrange.com