Cobol PIC 9 (5) V99 is 99999.99 and it's not packed (thank god).
In DDS you have to define it as 7,2.

What you may be experiencing in conversion is the sign byte.

PIC 9(5)V99 doesn't have the sign byte.  That would be PIC S9(5)V99 so
Excel, etc. may be messing you up there.

If you can't get it to work straight in you may have to create an
intermediate file where the fields are defined as PIC X(7).  Then use a
COBOL redefines to define the field as PIC 9(5)v99.

Let me know if you need more.  We use COBOL so I'm sure I can find an
example somewhere.

Ed Tate (etate01@sun.hazelwood.k12.mo.us)
Coordinator of Technology
Hazelwood School District