  • Subject: Re: Escrow Services for Source code
  • From: email@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (James W Kilgore)
  • Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 19:07:16 -0800

Don, Patrick, et al:

Our software company, and therefore agreements with clients, have the
following basic understandings:

1) The software is and always will be property/asset of the software
company.
2) The client purchases a license to use.  There is no transfer of
ownership.
3) In the event of default by the software company, the client may
obtain a copy of the source.
4) Client copy of source prohibits distribution, for a fee or for free.
Even in this event, title and ownership does not transfer to the client.

The reason being, that for another firm to purchase the assets
(software) and client base of a software firm in receivership, to
transfer title of code, even via escrow, would have the new owners with
many, many, many, potential competitors and therefore diminish the value
of the asset.  Not going to happen.

Personally, this is how lawyers get rich.  Every one of our clients have
all the original source code.  They also have a license agreement that
if any of the code every leaves the site we are entitled to compensation
including punitive damages.

IMHO, any software company that will not provide source code is either
ashamed of what you may see or they are trying to handcuff the client
into a services agreement.  This does not bode well for mutual trust and
collaboration.

That's just my option.  And I could be wrong. (apologies to Mr. Miller)

James W. Kilgore
email@James-W-Kilgore.com