  • Subject: FTP Exit pgms
  • From: owlcat@xxxxxxxxxxx (Jamie Pratt)
  • Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 03:31:14 GMT

Hi everyone... - since the subject of FTP seems to have popped up
again, I was wondering if anyone could offer any help on these exit
pgm animals.

Here is the current situation (and problem!):

We have all our normal users using a group profile, which apparently
was set up like this long ago, as I understand it. It was (still is) a
menu-driven security type of setup, built long before the days of
TCP/IP on the 400, so not much care was taken in designing
application/file security, and as a result, this group profile has
full authority to all the data that (*change on objs, *all on dta??
-- not sure exactly, "AS/400 object/file security" is not really my
bag, but TCP/IP is, so that is why I have been asked to do this)
resides in files in all our prod libs. ---- Not good at all in the FTP
world, I know, I know, and have let them know of this (huge!) security
hole many times before.  (Worse, this system does not have any
auditing on (as far as I can tell, anyways... like I said, security
really isnt my bag!), so probably noone would even know who trashed
these files if it were to happen via FTP by one of these group
members!!)

I really need to somehow restrict certain FTP subcommands on certain
libs, as well as restrict access to certain libs altogether for all
members of this group profile.    As I see it now, you can only
retrieve the *USRPRF within the exit pgm..... (actually it's an input
parm, but you know what I mean!..)  .... I would hate to have to code
hundreds of usrprfs in there, just to restrict certain access to all
members of this group!!   Also, since all the  *usrprfs within this
group start with different letters (i.e. SMITHJ, JONESH,RICHARDSL,
etc, etc),  I cannot simply %SST the &USRPRF variable to check for
certain strings within the exit pgm --- which I imagaine would work
great, if all the profiles started with the same couple letters!...

Any ideas?  I'm thinking now that maybe by calling another pgm within
the exit pgm, to check the profile may be possible somehow?  (OK, I
admit, I've only been writing CLP for a few months, and I havent yet
taken RPG (next semester hopefully!!)

 (BTW - I'm speaking of the TCP/IP FTP Server Logon exit, and the
other is the FTP Server Request Validation exit  (V4R3)

Thanks
jamie

PS sorry to write so much, ... I think I may have drank too much
coffee today!!  ;-)