  • Subject: Re: LAN server on th PCcard:
  • From: "Roger Pence" <rp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 20:45:47 -0600

Booth--

>Here is what I think is a simple yes or no question, but I haven't yet
found an answer.  >Perhaps someone were knows what is and what isn't
possible.

>The machine is a new AS/400 model 170 with a PC card and OS/2 LAN server
>installed.  Can the LAN server be used to run a regular modem off the
serial port, and >function as a regular RAS?

There is _nothing_ about the PC card that distinguishes it from an external
server is this regard. A serial port is a serial port and the IPCS card has
one or two (PCI and SPD, respectively). As long as you can live with this
limited number of serial ports, the answer is yes, you can hang a modem off
of it and run a remote dial service through it.

As for a "new" Model 170 and a PC card running OS/2, FWIW, understand that
IBM is pulling the plug on all NOS support for the PC card, except NT
Server, on January 31, 2001. After that date, no PC card enhancements or
support will be offered except for NT Server.

As an aside, watch the board burn with Linux on the PC card rumors come
COMMON time. These rumors will all be nonsense, generated by a couple of
drunken slobs at the pay-as-you-go CUDS. Don't believe them! IBM has its
hands full keeping on the board promises, let alone pipe dreams! My
grandma's pacemaker will be running Linux before it runs on the PC card!

rp