  • Subject: Re: Licensed Programs
  • From: "R. Bruce Hoffman, Jr." <rbruceh@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 07:35:28 -0500

Michael A Ross wrote:

>         S/36 and S/38 Migration

Used to migrate a S/36 or S/38 to an AS/400.  No S/36s or 38s to migrate?  Don't
need it.  All applications AS/400 applications?  Don't need it.  Space savings?

>         Example Tools Library

Sample source for various things.  Don't need examples of how to use an API?
Don't need samples of CL programming (no matter how bad)?  Don't need it.  Note
that this library is shipped compressed, so unless you uncompress the library,
you wouldn't necessarily know what is in it.

>         *PRV CL Compiler Support

Supports compiling CL programs for a version, release level lower that the
current environment.  Don't have machines that are at a lower version and
release?  Don't need it.

>         S/36 Migration Assistant

See above comment on S/36 and S/38.

>         Openness Includes

Are you writing C programs?  Are you writing RPG programs to the APIs?  Are you
writing COBOL programs to the APIs?  If so, you will probably want this library.
Not developing applications on the box?  Don't need it.

>         Advanced 36

Are you running AS/400 native or S/36 applications ported directly to the
AS/400?  If all native AS/400 and no 36 engines running and no special
environments for S/36 on your box, then you don't need it.

>         Print Services Facility/400

This one is tough.  You pay for this.  It allows printing to IPDS printers.  You
pay for this based on the number of printers and (I think this is still true)
the
fastest printer.  If you remove this and printing problems occur, be prepared to
put it back in a hurry.  If you remove this and drop the license to save money,
you may be putting it back in another year or two just to support another
printer.  I would look more closely and with suspiscion (i dont do spelling) at
the systems that DO NOT have this rather than the other way around.

>         Locale Source Library

This one could be required by compiled programs it they take advantage of
locales
in their programming.  Locales allow applications to conform to "local"
conventions like date formats based on "where" in the world you are.  C programs
are notorious for using these and I would say that it would only be safe to
remove these under VERY controlled circumstances.  I do not know if IBM software
uses these or not.

>         Object Connect

In a multi system environment, this allows the use of SAVRSTOBJ.  This command
saves an object, sends it to another system in the network and restores the
object in one step.  VERY convienient in a multi system environment.

b.