  • Subject: Re: MIDRANGE-L Digest V2 #877
  • From: "Steve Glanstein" <mic@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 00:42:17 -1000

Doug:

In order for a user to vary on/off a device on the newer release, *IOSYSCFG
is
not the issue.

You need *USE and *OBJMGT to the configuration object or *JOBCTL special
authority in the profile.

*IOSYSCFG relates to CONFIGURATION rather than varying on/off. It also may
relate to some TCP/IP functions.

Perhaps this will help:

Signon to a high level profile to create the objects. This profile will
need authority to all sorts of things...probably will have to be QSECOFR.

CRTUSRPRF CFGUSR      /* He'll own the configuration objects */
CRTLINSDLC  LINE   etc....
.
.   other configuration objects
.
CHGOBJOWN   LINE *LIND  CFGUSR           /* Make him the owner, he can
varyon/off */

Create a program that does WRKCFGSTS *LIN , owned by CFGUSR and adopting
his authority.
Give authority to CFGUSR to approved personnel.

Make sure CFGUSR doesn't do anything else...A user with a command line will
have all of the authority of CFGUSR when the program is run.

One way is to have the configuration objects owned by a profile with no
special authority and just run a program that adopts this profile with a
WRKCFGSTS. This

Steve Glanstein
mic@aloha.com

------------------------------

> Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 15:48:01 -0500
> From: Hart Doug <dah6696@Goulds1.com>
> Subject: Adopting IOSYSCFG rights?
>
>       I have IS staff in a number of remote sites that I would like to setup
> so that they can vary on and off their local devices.  I thought that I
> would give them the rights to vary controllers and devices but not
> lines, tape drives or consoles.
>
>       The easiest and fastest way seemed to give them *IOSYSCFG rights but I
> still want to control some configuration objects.  Here is what I tried
> but it doesn't work, can anyone suggest a better way?
>
>       1. CRTUSRPRF called IOSYSCFG with only *IOSYSCFG special rights nothing
> else and even limit command line.
>
>       2. CRTCLPGM called WRKCFGSTS that is owned by IOSYSCFG and adopts.
> This program prompts the command WRKCFGSTS.
>
>       3. Replace the menu function they currently have with this new CLP.
>
>       4. Grant user IOSYSCFG *USE rights to the command WRKCFGSTS
>
>       5. For the few identified objects I don't want them to have access to,
> set authority for user IOSYSCFG to *EXCLUDE.

>       The problem is that through this CLP I they can't vary any devices on
> or off.  It's as if the adoption rights don't carry through.  Is this
> true of *IOSYSCFG rights?
  Douglas Hart