Traditionally, it was system or server and now you can buy a machine and
'customize' it to your needs.  You can upgrade to the 7xx series from
systems (6xx, 5xx, 400) servers (Sxx, xxS) and the 436.  'Customize' in the
sense that you have specific levels (3 or 4) that you can buy for each
processor.  This is actually an improvement over the 170 in that you have
much more choices in the performance levels your machine provides.  I
assume it uses the same utilization algorhythm as the 170.  Some specifics:

Model 720
Processor                    2061    2062    2063    2064

Processor CPW           240      420       810    1800

Interactive CPW
Min                                      35         35         35
35
Max                                  120       240       560    1050

Memory ranges from 256MB to 8192.  DASD ranges from 4.19GB to 1288.

Model 730
Processor                  2065      2066      2067    2068

Processor CPW         560      1050      2000    2890

Interactive CPW
Min                                     70           70          70
70
Max                                 560      1050      2000    2000

Memory ranges from 512MB to 24,576.  DASD ranges from 4.19GB to 1683.6.

For example you can buy a 720-2063.  Base interactive CPW is 35.  The
remaining processor CPW is available for batch.  You can then buy feature
codes to modify your interactive CPW.  FC1502 = 120, FC1503 = 240, FC1504 =
560.  One thing to watch out for is how the software tiers are.  I believe
that once you move beyond the base interactive CPW on all machines you will
be bumped up a tier - don't quote me but keep an eye out on it.

This seems pretty slick.  For those of us stuck in the green screen world
we now have some very nice options to move forward to.  I have been asking
for something like this for years (mixed mode servers and 170's did a very
nice job) and this seems to really give us the flexibility to support both
worlds.......for example if you have green screen applications but want to
support and integrate Domino.  I don't know specifics but this could be a
good machine for something like that.  It continues the theme of server
consolidation.

As you can see there is no performance boost (processor CPW) compared to
earlier models just a different arrangement.  It will be interesting to see
how pricing goes.

Respectfully

Mike Crump

Ed Beehner <ed@mountainstates.com> on 01/26/99 09:31:00 AM