  • Subject: Re: Networking 5494/Ethernet/TokenRing
  • From: SirJohn <jbuying@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 05:36:55 -0500

If you have made no changes to the network,  I have to think that it has to be a
line problem.  Call your carrier and have them check the lines.

I was trying to install a IBM 5494.  The plan was to attached the 5494 to a T/R
and then source route bridging/data link switching to the host T/R.  I was going
nuts! The 5494 was losing connection to the 400. Let me tell you about some not
too happy users at that remote site.   I was changing the timers on the T/R, the
400 and the controller. The IBM router people said it was the line.  The IBM
5494
people said that it was the line.  The AS/400 people said that it was the line.
I called the telco every day to test the line.  Then!  It just worked! I have
been up now for about 2 1/2 weeks (knock on wood) with no dropping of the
controller.   I think that it was really the telephone line that was causing the
problems. The bad part is that the sneaky people at the telephone company will
tell you that they did not do anything.  But after I complained LOUDLY, for some
reason it started to work.

In trying to get my problem solved, I have been told many communications
stories.  The best so far is the cleaning crew.  At night they would come into
an
office, unplug the controller to plug in their vacuum cleaner.

john

--
John Buying
Strategic Business Systems, Inc.