  • Subject: Re: SQL order by question
  • From: pytel@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 16:21:00 -0600

Optimizer limitation on access paths evaluation exists only for interactive
jobs.
The reason is (was) that for interactive ad-hoc queries time to first
screen of response should be minimized at expense of better optimization
even at the risk of actually increasing this response time. It's a matter
of statistics, of course. What is considered a rare and heavy query for one
user is an everyday routine for somebody else.

During CRTSQLxxx and in batch environment there's no such limitation, so
all access paths will be considered regardless of their number.
Since ODBC server is nominally a batch job, I think ODBC queries should not
suffer from this limitation.

Best regards
    Alexey Pytel

DAsmussen@aol.com on 01/21/99 12:58:54 PM