Murali Bhaavan <Murali.Bhaavan@metamorgs.com> wrote:

>To analyze this, we have done some study. We put a 'X' in the control spec
   <snip>
>This worked fine and gave only the changed sequence and not the values.
>Sort specs are only supposed to change the sequence and not the values, I
>guess.

Murali,

Be careful! The alternate collating sequence doesn't change data fields but
it does change control fields. By leaving out the X  you are including the
changed control fields in the output record. By putting the X in, you are
excluding them.

>Can anyone resolve this further, we have lot of sort specs in this
>application that we
>are making Y2K compliant and such a thing would mean a lot of rework to
us.

Yes, making systems Y2K _is_ a lot of work. It looks as though you will
have to drop control fields and replace them with explicit data fields. You
haven't shown the data specifications, but I presume you are trying to make
something like this work.

     HSORTR     9A       F
ALTSEQ  F5F0F6F1F7F2F8F3F9F4F0F5F1F6F2F7F3F8F4F9
     FNC   1   1   A
     FNC   2   6
     FNC   7   9
     FDC  10  80

You could make the following change and everything should be fine. As
you're already having to add the ALTSEQ spec and fiddle with the control
fields it doesn't seem too great an extra stretch.

     HSORTR     9A       F X
ALTSEQ  F5F0F6F1F7F2F8F3F9F4F0F5F1F6F2F7F3F8F4F9
     FNC   1   1   A
     FNC   2   6
     FNC   7   9
     FDC   1   9
     FDC  10  80

When I say "fine" I mean as far as sorting the output goes. Retaining 2
character years is certainly possible but highly risky. Are you sure you've
checked and verified every single place in the system where dates are
validated, compared or used in calculations?

HTH - Good luck,

Dave Kahn
ABB Steward Ltd.