  • Subject: Re: VB Future ? & Visual Age RPG
  • From: "DAVID BULOG" <d2ba@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 07:27:59 +1300

If you don't already have this, how are
you currently doing your AS/400 development ?

Our database (ICMS) at work (I work for a Telco) is so valuable that there
is no way
I could ever get direct access to the files,ODBC  IS A NO NO,so I am a
screen scraper---all we have is NS/Ellite 5.1 and I scrape the screen with
DDE .
I have an old E20 at home to pratise with.

Dave

> From: Jon.Paris@halinfo.it
> To: MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com
> Subject: VB Future ? & Visual Age RPG
> Date: Thursday, 21 January 1999 04:19
>
>  >> Im really interested is Visual Age RPG any good
>
> I like it - along with procedure support it put the fun back in RPG
> programming for me.
>
>  >> So far I cant get a answer as to whether this will work on the
desktop
> without being connected to the AS/400.
>
> You can use the product stand-alone, to develop windows-based apps but
> that's not really its design point.  It does however have the ability to
> handle local files in three ways.  1) Program described flat files
> (sequential and RRN) 2) SQL access to a DB/2 data source 3) using ODBC -
> this last option is not very smoothly integrated in the current release
but
> I suspect it will get better.  Of course you can also call directly to
any
> other program/DLL/API on the PC that provides data access.
>
>  >> PS: there is only one book available on Visual Age RPG - a
> disappointing slim
> expensive volume and there does not appear to be the support out there
> about this product.
>
> I don't know why you say disappointing, I thought the book was quite good
> myself. Agreed it would be nice if there were more books and hopefully
this
> will change in the future, but the standard docs that come with the
product
> include a tutorial and there are samples etc. on the web site.  I also
> suggest you check out the Visual RPG forum on the News400 site.
>
>  >> You also have to buy software for the AS/400 when you purchase Visual
> Age .....
>
> There is only one requirement for the AS/400 and that is that it has
ADTS.

MIDRANGE-L-UNSUB@midrange.com.
david@midrange.com