  • Subject: Re[2]: Printing the same spool file in TWO printers in the s
  • From: "Eric DeLong"<eric.delong@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jan 99 11:05:36 -0600

     Dave, I disagree with your evaluation, and I think I'll leave it at
     that. I'll just say that I prefer automation to manual processes.

     Regards,
     eric.delong@pmsi-services.com

Subject: RE: Printing the same spool file in TWO printers in the same
Author:  <MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com > at INET_WACO
Date:    1/20/99 3:37 PM

Balaji Venkataraman <bvenkata@commsoft.net> wrote:

>Resetting of the page number shouldnt cause a problem, if page numbering
is
>done programatically. A special header record  can be printed on the first
>page of every spool file that indicates where it is continuing from.

I think this illustrates why tinkering with the program is not a good idea.
This amendment is getting more and more complex. We now have to start
printing special header records. In any case, these won't help if the
report later gets burst and distributed in sections. If you've just got a
stack on your desk with pages 501 - 600 you no longer know which header it
goes with. So next thing we'll have to add a section number to the page
header, or we'll at least have to do some analysis to check whether the
numbering is a problem.

Marco has a very large report that is exactly what his users require (we
have to assume). By definition if he changes the program that produces it
he needs to test it or he will be running untested software in production.
Then he might find that there are fiddly problems with page numbers so he
has to make another amendment and retest. All he wanted to do was spread
the physical printing load of a large report and there have been at least 5
reasonable solutions offered by on the list that do not involve amending
the program.

Dave Kahn
ABB Steward Ltd.