  • Subject: Re: RPG/400 to JDEdwards
  • From: Ravi <ravi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 12:32:56 -0600

Uttam,

This depends on whether you are contemplating moving to JDE World or JDE
One World. I found the transition to One World a little more difficult
because all business functions are written in 'C' and not very well
documented. My experience with 'C' was limited to a course in school and
not much else. Most of the programming is done with the JDE Case tools
which is not difficult to learn if you have some background in VB or
Powerbuilder. You would need to be comfortable with the general
concepts/flow of event driven programming. Also, One World works with a
variety of database backends (DB2/400, Oracle, SQL Server etc). Also
having used SQL on the AS/400 helped me get going with Oracle. I have
not worked on OneWorld with DB2/400 as the backend, so am not sure what
is involved.

If you are moving to JDE World, your RPG/CL experience is all you need
to get started. JDE does not use the the IBM SDA/RDA. JDE provides their
own tools for screen and report design. Files are not created through
PDM. JDE has a different tool for creating files, which ensures that all
data elements come from the data dictionary. I had never used User
Indexes before moving to JDE. Try to get hold of a APCS (Advanced
Programming & concepts manual). This contains all the info that you will
need to get going........

Regards!!

Ravi