  • Subject: Re: Y2K blowups - Was: Too many replies to "too many answers" post
  • From: email@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (James W Kilgore)
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 14:16:53 -0800

Kathleen,

We ran into a similar situation, transaction year must be uyear +-1

Changing the uyear add 1 = hitest so that hitest was a 3,0 field solves the
problem for now.
Next year (2000) uyear sub 1 = lotest will have to be modified to test for
negative result.

I was watching CNN last week and there were a couple of Y2K commentators,
including the former Labor Secretary, and one method that is gaining popularity
is the "fix upon failure" approach.

The example used was a gas pipeline with 10,000 imbedded systems, of which only
10% may need upgrading.  The cost of determining which 10% is a cost in addition
to the actual replacement.  "Fix upon failure" eliminates the cost of finding
the
defectives.  They become readily apparent. The replacement cost remains the
same.  The consumer just has to wrap their pipes and bundle up for a couple of
days.  No worse than a usual winter outage.  At least that's the way the gas
company is looking at it.

Your non client's "fix on failure" had no more a detrimental impact on their
organization than a temporary power outage would have.  You'll probably get
another call from them (see what you get for being their hero) when the
invoicing
process tries to compute a due date into the year 2000.  Depending upon their
terms, you may get the call sometime around October 2nd.

Good luck to them.

James W. Kilgore
email@James-W-Kilgore.com