Chris Chambers
07/01/99 17:38

To:   midrange-l@mirange.com
cc:

Subject:  multilingual screens etc.

Many Thanks to all who replied with ideas on the above topic.

I have now managed to condense all the advice and solve the problem.

My problem was that I was using the MSGCON keyword to define text when I
should have been defining output fields with the MSGID keyword. Now I can
have just one set of compiled DDS screens displaying different language
text according to the setting of the library list (One library per langauge
each housing the same msg files with different translations of the same
text).

However - I am now having a problem trying to define menus in the normal
manner. The resulting DDS will not take the MSGID keyword and the compile
of the menu dumps after editing the constants to try the MSGCON. I would
also like to display the name of the site at the top of the menu which is
of course a variable.

I would like to avoid using a DSPF with a COBOL/RPG program to create a
pseudo menu and hopefully just stick to conventional AS400 menu processing.

Any ideas? - all help gratefully appreciated.

KR

Chris