Actually, this kind of reporting tends to ruffle my feathers:

"The main reason companies aren't buying AS/400s as ERP servers is that ERP
vendors have turned their attention to NT Server. PeopleSoft, for instance,
recently acknowledged that it won't support all newly planned applications
on the AS/400. Earlier this year, Baan announced a "special relationship"
with Microsoft founded on NT products. (See "PeopleSoft stumbles on
support, school apps" and "Baan counteracts poor financials by striking
deal with Microsoft.")"

1.) PeopleSoft - All CORE Business Process PeopleSoft applications
(FINANCIALS, HRMS, DISTRIBUTION, MANUFACTURING) are enabled on AS/400
platform and are sold and supported on the AS/400. PeopleSoft has created 9
vertical industry
business units within which they sell these core applcations pretty much
as is.  In some cases PeopleSoft  builds or customizes a specific module
for
that industry, like Student Administration in their Higher Education
Industry Business Unit,  which is not supported on AS/400 in their initial
release. In this latter case, the application does run on the AS/400 since
it is built with PeopleTools and has even gone through PeopleSoft internal
release testing on AS/400. It gets down to a support issue and the market
segment and the demand they see there.

"PeopleSoft, for instance, recently acknowledged that it won't support all
newly planned applications on the AS/400."

Maybe it's just me, but this statement is at best a misrepresentation of
PeopleSoft's support of the AS/400.  BTW, those newly planned applications
are in the area of education........

2.) Baan - since when does the fact that a vendor (one with financial
issues) gets cozy with MicroSoft mean that AS/400 support is going away?
Maybe it will, but do intimate that is both premature and unsubstantiated.

3.) "The main reason companies aren't buying AS/400s as ERP servers is that
ERP vendors have turned their attention to NT Server" - actually, this
could not be farther from the truth.  The same company (Gartner Group)
indicated that currently (read today not the future) that the AS/400 is the
preferred ERP platform and should remain so for the next five
years............In August 1998 they reported that only 5% of the AS/400
installed base was at risk with replacement by NT.  Where does one get "The
main reason companies aren't buying AS/400s as ERP servers"?

This is what I disagree with.  This is fair?  This is balanced?  Sure, and
what's his name did not have relations with that woman.....

Respectfully ticked off

Mike Crump

John Carr <74711.77@compuserve.com> on 01/03/99 04:29:06 PM

Please respond to MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com