  • Subject: Re: AS/400 Gasping For Air ??
  • From: "Mary Jo Whitcomb" <mjwhit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1999 04:34:02 -0800

I wonder how many of those NT boxes were added to co-exist with existing
AS400s.  At our hospital, we currently have 4 Novell servers that serve a
retail pharmacy, two clinics, and our in house LAN.  But, our old F45 was
upgraded to a beautiful new 620 for all of our main applications.
At least one of our servers is going to be upgraded with NT installed.
Servers can co-exist with the AS400, and when they do, the difference in
uptime is obvious.  (Especially with me running up the hall, saying "It
isn't the 400, the LAN is down!").  That is why the clinical areas will
always have at least one dumb terminal along with any PCs that are installed
to connect with the LAN, and why our BOD never considered going with
anything else other than an AS400 when the decision was made to find a new
Hopital Information System that was Y2K compliant.
I am sure there are AS400 shops that have and will be adding (not replacing)
NT to their information systems.
 Mary Jo