     It may be a bit late with this response, however in the almost 18
     years I have been dealing with OEM vs. IBM tape drives, I have never
     been burned by IBM tape drives (yes they go down occasionally, but
     they always come back with IBM maintenance) and almost always have had
     major problems with OEM drives.  The biggest risk is you don't find
     out your screwed until its too late, in the middle of a business
     recovery situation.  Remember the Chicago river flooding the basements
     of buildings a few years ago.  17 companies were involved from a data
     center standpoint.  3 of them were my clients, all with hot site
     recovery contracts from IBM.  One had OEM drives on its AS/400.  Guess
     which one I could not recover with a simple reload?  I managed to get
     them recovered, almost 90 hours after the other two.  (by the way of
     the 17 companies 13 of them were out of business 6 months later.  None
     of the 13 had a recovery plan)

     The most important reason you don't want OEM tape drives is microcode.
     An OEM vendor simply cannot keep up with current microcode levels.
     The tape drive and the controller card have to work together without
     dropping a bit, that requires very solid microcode.  As Larry pointed
     out, working like, but not configuring like, implies a microcode
     difference and you will eventually get burned.  The price may be good
     now, but this is a pay me now, or get fired later situation.

     Just my opinion, backed up by experience,
     and does not represent my employer
     Jim Oberholtzer