  • Subject: Re: Telnet to proxy server from AS/400, then to another 400?
  • From: "Carl Galgano" <cgalgano@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 08:51:37 -0500

Brad:
I've had this problem also.  It is because when your emulator talks to your
PS, it is probably using VT100, and then trys to use the VT100 when it
attaches to the remote AS400.  The only was I have been able to get around
this is to use a mapped port on the PS, so you can tell your Telnet emulator
to use the mapped proxy port and your data is automatically passed to the
remote AS400.  Since you don't actually "talk" to the PS (no telnet session
to the PS) the 5250 emulation works pretty well.  I have found this to be
true using PCOM 5250 (the same emualtor as CA).  I think the Mochasoft
TN5250 client works OK.  It is also a problem when you use the TN5250
emualtor and on the remote side you hit a firewall you need to logon to.
The emualtor goes into VT100 mode and when you hit the AS400 you are
screwed.  Hope this helps.
Carl

Carl Galgano
EDI Consulting Services, Inc.
540 Powder Springs Street
Suite C19
Marietta, GA  30064
770-422-2995
mailto: cgalgano@ediconsulting.com
http:cgalgano.home.mindspring.com
EDI, Communications and AS400 Technical Consulting