Welcome to the party, this tread has evolved to cover several subtopics. The 2
subtopics with witch i am more involved are:
1. What constitute a GUI (Ex: is the interface of an ATM GUI and how come?)
2. Wheater or not GUI is faster that GSI (Green screen interface) for head down
data entry

I do not say than GSI is better than GUI or vice versa. But i do beleave that
software houses almost always trow a GUI on their application as much for
marketing as for usability reason. A lot of post did mention that the problem
with GUI is not the GUI concept but the poor implementation of it that happens
to often. So it is this to often poor implementation of GUI that gives fuel to
the GSI advocate and not the concept of GUI itself.

Personnaly, i think that GUI if what is needed for occasional and new users but
a kind of "head down" mode is needed for experience users for most application.
And, as someone pointed to me, a well done GUI does offer this possibility.

And now to put another twist on what is or is not GUI, if ATM are GUI because
of the visual clue for the meaning of the buttons ($50 ==> <button>). Does the
cash register at McDonald use a GUI?. After all, each key is label with word
like "fries" "coke" "large" ... and this seems to be consistent with a lot of
argument said about the GUI nature of ATM.

PS I am enjoying this, thats the kind of conversation i usually have aroud a
pitcher of beer.

Denis Robitaille
Cascades inc.
Tel: 819-363-5187
DRobitaille@cascades.com

>>> "RAJEEV ASTHANA" <rajeevasthana@hotmail.com> 12/03 7:33 pm >>>
Hi Denis,

I am new to this discussion.
But according to me, yes, GUI is lot and lot better that the Green
screen.
It's expected that in coming years, we'll have GUI.
There are some GUI tools available in market which can transform your
application to GUI e.g. GUI/400.
But as a matter of fact hardly anybody uses that.

Keep hoping.

Rajeev.