Well, alright, I've always figured that there would be people who would
try to get away with this; it's a lot cheaper than replacing hardware
and software.

What do you do about backdating the dates in all your existing files?
Don't you have to go through and change every 1999 to 1971, (er, make
that 99 to 71), etc? Otherwise, what good is it going to do. And then, I
guess you just write a lot of perl scripts (I'm not an RPG fan, am I?)
to change the dates forward again? Has your customer tried this??? It
certainly should work, and if it works, who cares... let us know how the
testing proceeds (and it's a good sign that they are going to test it!).

I sure hope this customer is like a small hardware store, not the
village bank or the village government...so maybe they don't have EDI,
etc., to worry about.

Carl Friedberg, carl@comets.com

><The calendar crank-back isn't completely crazy.
><
><The 1972 calendar is exactly the same as the 2000 calendar.
><
><Thus, to do any date math, subtract 28 years from both dates, do the math,
><and you get the same (correct) result as if had used the current date.
><
><You don't need to changes dates in the database and dates still print
><appropriately.
That's the assertion I doubt. Why don't you have to change dates in the
database?