  • Subject: Operations Console problem + question
  • From: owlcat@xxxxxxxxxxx (Jamie Pratt)
  • Date: Tue, 01 Dec 1998 19:54:13 GMT

Hi everyone...

I just recently set up our new 9406-170 model using a Win95(b) PC as
the console using the Operations Console cable setup.   (NOT the
CA/System console variation)  After successfully getting it connected,
here is the big problem:  The pc5250 emulator font keeps defaulting to
"Tahoma - scaled 6 x 12" .   I can go to change the font, however it
doesn't update the screen with the new font (both Fixed size, and the
other options),  it just keeps using "Tahoma".   This really wouldnt
be a problem, however, most things are unreadable - for instance, a
capital Q shows as a capital C, and all the letters you type slightly
overrun each other.  - As another example, you can only read the first
3 digits of the machine serial number when you look at a signon
screen, the rest floats off the side of the display....
 I have tried everything I could think of to get this screen readable,
so we can get this baby up and running....  (Natives are getting
restless, dontcha know!)   I even went so far as to remove the Tahoma
font from windows itself thinking that should surely do it....
Result:  It just grabbed "Arial scalable 6 x 12" instead!!!
ARGGHHH!!!   This font is about the same as the Tahoma in terms of
readability, in fact it's almost worse! ....  I should also add that
neither of these fonts shows in the list in the emulator, so I have no
idea where it is picking up the font settings from....  Even rebooting
after changing it and saving the *.ws file doesn't work!  Needless to
say,  I am about to give up, and start tomorrow afresh with a
different PC running a fresh copy of NT(SP3) which should help the
stability issue I'm having as well (5250 sometimes crashes 95 on
MSVCRT.DLL and requires reboot to clear the connection)  and I'm
hoping the font problem doesn't show up with NT...  (fingers crossed!)

 I scoured the manuals and the web, as well as dejanews to see if
anyone had reported the problem in comp.sys.ibm.as400.misc, but I
found almost nothing on the PC5250 emulation, or fonts for that
matter....   Anyone have any ideas before I go wallowing into NT and
more IPL's tomorrow??

...Another quick question, is it normal to get the DST signon box
everytime the connection is made between the PC and the 400?? ...
After I enter the default QSECOFR/QSECOFR in the grey DST signon box,
I get the normal "DSP01" display....  It does this everytime I reboot
the pc, and fire up the Operations Console icon...  ( Doesn't  quite
seem right to me,  but our CE wasn't sure about whether it was normal
or not, I'm just assuming since virtually nothing is config'ed (no
network, lines, etc...) on the 400 other than the date/time, that it
must be normal??)

Thanks for any help,  I just cant' believe that I have spent almost
two days trying to get the emulation font to work correctly, but it
only took a few hours to get the hardware up!....(including numerous
calls to IBM) ....  Talk about frustration!!

Also, sorry to write so much, but I wanted to be as clear as possible!

thanks for any help,
Jamie

Jamie Pratt
prattj@bcbsvt.com