At 02:53 PM 12/1/98 -0800, you wrote:
>When creating physical files, is there a disadvantage to using *NOMAX
>for the initial number of records?

I am sure that neither you nor I have written a program with a bug.  But
somewhere, sometime, someone wrote a program that ran in an infinite loop
writing records to a file.

Eventually that system ran out of disk space.  On a system to prior to
V4R2, the system will just post an SRC code.  When you look up that code in
the book, it asks if your resume is somewhere else than on the AS/400.

In V4R2, the following two system values have been added:

Name:               QSTGLOWLMT
IBM Initial Value:   5.0000 (percent of system ASP storage)
Length & Type:      Decimal:     6.4
Comments:           This is the percentage of remaining auxiliary storage
for the system ASP, at which point the action specified by the system value
QSTGLOWACN will be invoked.  This is the percentage of unused storage.
(i.e.: for QSTGLOWACN to be invoked for the shipped default, the percentage
of storage utilization would have to be 95.0000%).

Name:               QSTGLOWACN
IBM Initial Value:  '*MSG'
Length & Type:      Character:  10

Valid Values and their Meanings:

'*MSG'         Send message CPI099C to QSYSMSG and QSYSOPR.  This message
is              also send for all other actions.
'*CRITMSG'     Send critical message CPI099B to the user defined in service
                attributes to receive critical messages.
'*REGFAC'      Submit a job to call exit programs registered for the
QIBM_QWC_QSTGLOWACN.
'*ENDSYS'      End the system to a restricted state.
'*PWRDWNSYS'   Execute PWRDWNSYS OPTION(*IMMED) RESTART(*YES).

Comments:           Changes will take effect immediately.
User must have *ALLOBJ and *SECADM authority to change these system values.

Al

| Please do not send private mail to this address. |
| Private mail should go to barsa@ibm.net.         |

Al Barsa, Jr. - Account for Midrange-L
Barsa Consulting, LLC.
400 > 390