 >> There's WAY TOO MUCH RPG III code that is just not going to benefit
from CVTRPGPGM into RPG IV.

Here I have to disagree with you Buck.  I agree that procedures are the way
to go (along with prototyping program calls) but there is still significant
benefit without them.  Admittedly indicator laden code can get ugly, but
the tools like the Connections 2000 one can help with that.

Being able to see where the Factor 2 name starts and the Opcode ends is
worthwhile by itself if maintaining a program you've never seen before.
More than that though - the major benefit is that once you are in RPG IV
you can begin to use the new function when maintaining the code.  This
becomes a "self-educating" process - the more you use the more you want to
use.  Someone else noted that they convert each program as any maintenance
is due and then run in compatibility mode - that's a great start.  One of
the biggest benefits is that you _don't_need_ to do any cost justification
- the "conversion cost" (such as it is) is spread over such a long period
that it can be ignored.

By the way - I used to think as you do, but changed my mind.  Look through
comments on this list and you see the reality.  Even here where folks are
more forward looking than most people don't see the benefits and all the
time they are not working with them, probably never will.  I've been amazed
to see how much progress into "real" RPG IV many people make as a result of
starting out using the compatibility mode.

<Get down off soapbox - end of sermon>