  • Subject: Re: RE: Binary vs. Integer Parameters
  • From: "David Morris" <dmorris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 17:08:00 -0700

Brad,

By using IBM's supplied definitions, you are have a much better chance things
will continue to work on future releases.  Worst case, just a recompile,
instead
of searching for a field that was changed, etc.  The names are not great, but
they
work, and overall, I think they save time.  Just getting a guaranteed match for
each variables attributes is great.  It cost me about three days when I missed
the
little bit about optional parameters in the API programmers guide.  They must
be
coded as *OMIT or you will have very sporadic, seemingly random problems.
After talking with tech support, I know we are not the only ones who made this
error.  We were also billed several hours of research time by IBM, so it is not
common knowledge.  Also, pointers need to be passed by VALUE to
several of the APIs.  It is not spelled out why in any manual I have read.  It
just
works that way.  That is why I would like to see the prototypes included.

David Morris

>>> "Stone, Brad V (TC)" <bvstone@taylorcorp.com> 11/18 3:33 PM >>>
I thought these were available on the system somewhere already.  I know our
shop hasn't installed them, but I know I've heard people speak of them.  The
only problem is the variable names are IBM, so if it's something like file
name, the variable will be similar to QFJFLANAME.. ;)

What we do is simply only code the variables we want to use using FROM and
TO posistions, and name them whatever we want... like "FileName".  I think
it's easier in the long run.

Bradley V. Stone
Taylor Corporation - OASIS Programmer/Analyst
bvstone@taylorcorp.com