  • Subject: Re: FW: AS/400 SMTP mail problems
  • From: DAsmussen@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 00:09:47 EST

Neil (et al),

> Beginning to look now more like a problem with the reverse DNS lookup of the
> sending address, and IBM Global Network rejecting it as part of their spam
> filtering.
>
>  See a couple of the other informative posts regarding this problem from
> Bleddyn, Bruce & Wilton.

Same here, and nothing to do with the AS/400.  I have a client running cc:Mail
that switched to Advantis from a local provider about nine months ago.  I was
very pleased at first, when my e-mail delivery when off-site went from half a
day to who-knows-when, to less than 5 minutes.  About three months ago, their
out-bound addresses started to scramble again (happened under the old ISP as
well) and I have to re-type them in the correct format after hitting <reply>.
The latter problem probably originates in-house, as it happened before.  The
_ANNOYING_ thing is that in-bound WordPro, 123, and other documents get
"deconstructed" into formats that look like you're trying to use WordPad to
read them when the original application is used.  Outbound stuff (I can read
it at home just fine) isn't affected.  Could be just another lame excuse from
the in-house technical staff, but the word is that IBM's firewall can't let
its own applications pass through...

Regards!

Dean Asmussen
Enterprise Systems Consulting, Inc.
Fuquay-Varina, NC  USA
E-Mail:  DAsmussen@aol.com

"If you had to identify, in one word, the reason the human race has not
achieved, and never will achieve, its full potential, that word would be
'meetings'". -- Dave Barry