  • Subject: RE: Work remote
  • From: Joe Teff <jteff19@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Nov 1998 14:12:18 -0600

> I suspect it is more than just a control issue though.  For many projects it
>is
> essential for the programmer to be there, on site, to stay on track and to
>reflect
> the nature and culture of the establishment. Even the grunt work of Y2K
> conversions needs a certain amount of it.  The other problem I've noticed is
> that management has a helter-skelter schedule and it may be impossible for
> them to meet and review work and projects on a timely basis.  Therefore it is
> in their interest to have the programmers at a desk they can find when their
> schedule allows.

I find that most meetings that I have to attend are delayed or postponed and I
will be "grabbed" with no advanced warning when the party or parties are ready.
They expect me to be available at their convenience. I find that many companies
are trying to do more with less (or at least fewer are actually doing), so
schedules
are definitely hectic. This is not confined to IS either. I also have more
experience
and knowledge than any other P/A or consultant, so I'm used as a mentor quite
frequently.

> What does astound me though is the willingness of these companies to pay
> obscene amounts for a contractor's services and then put the contractor on an
> upended soda case and an old 14" 3196 terminal hauled out of dead storage
> while regular staff is using new Pentium 233s with 17" monitors.  Its their
> money so I guess it is their rules, but still...

This I find is definitely true. I am working on a 66 Mhz PC at my current client
with a 500M disk that is always about 98% full. I occasionally have to let one
of
the operators use it because they do some EDI processing on it. I have no
access to the Internet or to outside e-mail. I cannot even use my laptop here
because they use Token Ring for their network. Even if I had a Token Ring
card, their MAUs are full. They will be going to Ethernet soon, so I will be
able to use my laptop. At my last two clients, I used a 5250 green screen
device at one and an old PC running Windows 3x at the other.