  • Subject: RE: Fragilility of CDs {was :V3R7 -> V4R3 upgrade}
  • From: Neil Palmer <NeilP@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 15:16:34 -0500

Well, I've always been of the opinion that just because something is designed
to take a bit of abuse, that's no reason to actually subject it to it !
Always pick them up using the centre hole and edge, put them right back in the
case when you're done with them.  Take a look at the recorded surface to make
sure there's no visible marks/dust/jam on them (I've had new shrink wrapped
CD's that had fingerprints on them !).

I've got almost 1,000 music CD's at home and out of those I've only ever
purchased one that had a manufacturing defect, and only one has ever been
damaged (skips).  THAT was done by the wife who somehow managed to scratch the
recorded surface against the edge of the jewel box as she removed it from the
case !   :-)

Tapes of course need more care though, and you'd be amazed how many computer
rooms I've seen where they leave tapes lying around WITHOUT being placed in
their case, gathering dust, sitting on top of a nice hot laserprinter, etc.
It's really all just common sense.  Reminds me of something I heard. "The
amount of intelligence in the world is a constant, unfortunately the population
keeps growing !"   :-)

Neil Palmer         DPS Data Processing Services Canada Ltd.
                                             AS/400~~~~~
Thornhill, Ontario,  Canada    ___________          ___  ~
Phone: (905) 731-9000  x238   |OOOOOOOOOO| ________  o|__||=
Fax:   (905) 731-9202          oo      oo   oo  oo   OOOo=o\
mailto:NeilP@DPSlink.com    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.DPSlink.com        AS/400  The Ultimate Business Server