Rob,

The AS/400 guru's on this list will tell you how to write an FTP script
by embedding your FTP commands into a text file and flinging it through
the AS/400's FTP client.  You can do that, but be aware that you will
spend time writing programs to read output text files that are generated
to determine whether your session was good or bad, and in doing so your
recovery for problems will always be after the fact.  You will also have
an ongoing maintenance issue because if you are not familiar with FTP
servers, you will not be able to account for every condition until they
arise.

Our company has a product called ZMOD FTP.Client that makes it very easy
to create reliable, bullet-proof batch FTP transfers.  The scripting is
CL based meaning as you issue each FTP command we will tell you if it
was or wasn't executed successfully by your UNIX box so you can trap
every condition (through MONMSG commands) and perform any recovery you
want.

We have clients who have spent months trying to make their scripts
reliable by using their own "post FTP" analysis programs, and it only
took them a few minutes to create reliable batch FTP scripts with our
product.  There is a review of the product in October's Midrange
Computing.  You can download a free trial copy from
http://www.softwarejungle.com and try it out if you like.