  • Subject: RE:Hacker site featuring AS/400.
  • From: John Carr <74711.77@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 19:28:02 -0500

RE:Hacker site featuring AS/400.

-----------------------------------
>> http://www.genocide2600.com/~tattooman/b4b0/b4b0-5/b4b0-5.txt
>> Introduction to AS/400 Computing
>> Part 1 - Very Basic Concepts
>> tymat@b4b0.org
>>
>> I. Key Features of the AS/400
>>   <SNIP>
  -------------------------

Well

I don't know if I can take credit/blame for this one.

With the marketing exposure  comes a loss of innocence.  And at the same
time responsiblity.
I would highy suggest that If your AS/400 has any wires comming out of the
box(connections to
anything)  that you implement Object Level Security !

We are no longer an obscure, backwater machine.

I missed telling you about an article on "Security Watch" column at
infoworld;
This may have helped make this happen.
-----------
       October 12, 1998
""  AS/400 security is still top notch, but diligent  steps can help
fortify it  ""

http://www.infoworld.com/cgi-bin/displayNew.pl?/security/981012sw.htm

by Stu and Joel.
--------
Lots of hackers read that column.  It usually has stories about security
holes on NT etc.
I wrote to Stu and Joel a few months ago and suggested an article.   I
guess they did it.

(BTW,   Got a note back from Maggie Biggs who wrote the "Chameleon"
article.

She said;
---------
<Snip>

 ""  I've always loved the AS/400 (and its predecessors).....it just keeps
getting better.
You should look for Stu and Joel's column in one of the last issues re:
AS/400 and security.
Stu likes the AS/400 as much as I.    ""    )

<Snip>
So   to sum up.

 For  good or bad    WE GOT EXPOSURE !
Be careful out there.