  • Subject: Re: ASCII workstation controller
  • From: "Larry D. Bolhuis" <lbolhui@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 07 Nov 1998 13:55:50 -0500

Nina,

  The story that I heard re: the demise of the 8235 is a sad one.  Last year
IBM.NET needed to
upgrade it's equipment to 56K capability and the competitors were 3Com
(US-Robotics) and the 8235
(the big T1/72Modem units aka Shiva Access Switch).  The choice was 3Com
'because the telcos are
more familiar with them'.  Well this one order would have been more than the
entire sales projection
for 8235 for the year! This would have locked the product it. Apparently it was
decided that if IBM
can't even sell them to themselves they better get out.

  Bad Decision IMHO.

--
Larry Bolhuis         |
Arbor Solutions, Inc  | Two rules to success in life: