Dear Larry,

I can think of two methods that would support the addition of Color JPEG images
to traditional AS/400 applications.

Idea 1 - AS/400 Centric Method

In the PC realm, you would use your favorite software package to view the JPEG
file. You would next select the print driver that properly supports the target
printer. You would then use the Client Access PC printing function known as
network printing in the Win 95/Win 98/Win NT environments and virtual printing
in earlier PC environments to print an ASCII file to a shared folder on the
AS/400. In the network/virtual printing setup screen, you would select the
check box that maintains the file in ASCII format when printing (ie no ASCII to
EBCDIC conversion).

This check box selection will cause the SCS command ASCII transparency (hex 03
and count byte) to be imbedded within your print file at 255 byte intervals.
The SCS command tells the AS/400 that the data is being maintained in ASCII
format and that the file cannot be viewed with a 5250 terminal.

You can place a call for the file to be sent to print from within your RPG
application just as if it were a standard EBCDIC based file. The result will be
that the image will be printed as expected on the target LAN attached printer.
This method of imbedding the file within an RPG or COBOL application is fully
compatible with the AS/400 Host Print Transform function so that getting the
file to the LAN attached printer should not be a significant problem.

Idea 2 - LAN Centric Method

The LAN centric method is to receive the standard text information created by
the RPG or COBOL application through a 5250 gateway to the LAN. In conjunction
with this gateway, you apply some LAN based print conditioning software that
looks for a particular text attributes (row/column positional triggering
event). When the appropriate trigger is found, the software applies the Color
JPEG file to the data stream received from the AS/400 before it is sent to the
target LAN attached printer.

Both of these methods work well. Typically the network environment will
determine which method is more applicable to a particular situation.

Hope this helps.

/Paul
--
Paul Tykodi, Technical Director                 E-mail: pault@praim.com
Praim Inc.                                           Tel: 603-431-0606