  • Subject: Re: Fax and Email solutions
  • From: Rob Berendt <rob@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 13:10:11 -0500

I use the send mail API's.  They work pretty simply.  It will require
ILE.  I've done mine in RPG ILE but it should be pretty simple to do it
in COBOL ILE.  I can send some sample stuff, if you like.  My pager
company has an email address that will forward stuff to our pagers.
Format:  phonenumber@epage.arch.com, example 2195551212@epage.arch.com.

For faxing, we use IBM's Facsimile Support / 400.  There are other
products out there that might have a few more features, but one stop
shopping and support has it's advantages.  This allows us to use simple
AS/400 printouts, overlays, etc.,  and even comes with a printer driver
so that PC's can fax through the 400.  Fax hardware options include:
1)  using 7855-400 modem, which can also be your ECS modem.  2)  outboard
PC.  3)  inbound fax adapter card, recommended for high volume applications.
Some of the competition is on this list and I am sure you'll hear them
extol the benefits of their products.

hweatherly@dlsc.dla.mil on 10/29/98 11:26:50 AM
Please respond to MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com@Internet