David,

>From what I've read, unfortunately, the IBM's Enhanced Upgrade Assistant has
a lot of code that uses API's unavailable until in V2R3.  Therefore, V2R3 is
the earliest jumping off point for the auto-magic-does-it-all upgrade path.

We have upgraded 9 AS/400's directly from V2R2 to V4R2.... I call it the
"E-Jump with Triple Axle."  Most application objects were save/restored
without re-create, no problem... but we handled the system customization
almost as if it was a different platform.  We developed our own custom
migration programs for a side-by-side process.  Below is a summary of the
steps we did:

NOTE:  WE CHANGED TAPE DRIVES FROM OEM 8MM TO IBM TAPE CARTRIGE, SO WE DID
NOT HAVE SIMPLE MEDIA COMPATIABILITY

o  Install new AS/400 with OS/400 and license programs (plain vanilla
out-of-the-box AS/400 at this point)
o  Verify cumulative PTF level and mirrored protection setup
o  Determine auto-assign resource names (via WRKHDWRSC *CMN) store values in
data area
o  Create empty Tech Support and Application libraries
o  Set system values network attributes (system name is set to temp name)
o  Create initial communications configuration to OLD AS/400 (basic
pass-through/APPC)
o  Create basic user profiles for system installation/configuration (the
ones referenced in our custom subsystem descriptions, work management
objects... everything else was restored via RSTUSRPRF *ALL later)
o  Restore miscellaneous job descriptions, classes, data area's saved from
staged from development AS/400
o  Restore Tech Support utilities and empty Tech Support data files
o  IPL
o  Bring up communications between OLD/NEW AS/400
o  Customize QSPL, QINTER, QBATCH, QCTL subsystem descriptions
o  Duplicate and modify some specific IBM printer files into library higher
than QSYS in system library   list
o  Duplicate and modify some specific IBM commands into library higher than
QSYS in system library (modified command defaults, validity checkers, etc.)
o  Customize some specific IBM message ids (ALERT *YES/*NO, preferred
message text...)
o  Set reply list entries
o  Setup SNADS
o  Setup QDSNX (for SNUF/Netview communications to mainframe)
o  Complete communications configuration (Most were recreated via program
source from RTVCFGSRC.  The resource names will change, you cannot predict
what the new name will be.  So Its best to pass them to your configuration
programs as parameters or retrieve them from a data area.)
o  Transmit Tech Support data areas and from OLD to NEW AS/400
o  Copy all data files in Tech Support libraries, via DDM, from OLD AS/400
to NEW AS/400
o  Transmit SAVSECDTA save file from OLD to NEW
o  Bring system to restricted state
o  Restore user profiles from SAVSECDTA save file (RSTUSRPRF *ALL)
o  Re-start selected subsystems
o  Tweak some user profile special authorities (i.e.. *ALLOBJ auto removed
during RSTUSRPRF, give *IOSYSCFG to specific users...)
o  Transmit all output queue objects in QUSRSYS and QGPL from OLD to NEW
system (this is the object description only, not the spool file entries)
o  Create miscellaneous Application subsystems
o  Restore Application programs and empty application files
o  Copy all data files in all Application libraries, via DDM, from OLD to
NEW
o  Bring system to restricted state
o  Restore private authorities (RSTAUT *ALL)
o  Re-start selected subsystems
o  Tweak private authorities here and there
o  Transmit DSPDIR *ALL outfile from OLD to NEW system and run ADDDIRE
against outfile
o  Set initial subsystem pool values
o  Add job schedule entries
o  Print local workstation grid on old system (PRTDEVADR)
o  Move local workstation cables
o  Rename autoconfig'd device names to original values (we set the
QDEVNAMING to *DEVADR which made this easier than it sounds)
o  Create multimember database file of all spool files on OLD system,
transmit to NEW system, and regenerate spool entries

We did not bring across any shared folder objects (SAVDLO/RSTDLO) you will
need to add this to your process.

We have had very few problems.

ITS JUST THAT EASY!!!

Regards,
Jerry Jewel

jerry.jewel@nissan-usa.com
Better living through fine code and hot coffee!