  • Subject: Re: Dropping of Novell on IPCS.
  • From: Rob Berendt <rob@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 16:39:48 -0500

Yes, my ignorance on Novell is pretty high, but I'd have to think hard about
why I would want to install a NEW Novell system.  What is IBM's market reason
for putting Novell on the IPCS?  1)  New installations, 2)  Migrations.

Why would anyone want a NEW Novell system, IPCS or otherwise?  Feel free to add
any reasons, or why the excuses are invalid.
a)  File sharing.  Use NETSERVER instead.  Part of OS/400 V4R3.  Client Access
not required.
b)  Print sharing.  Use LAN printers or NETSERVER.
c)  GroupWise email.  Use Notes.

Why migrate from a PC based Novell server to an IPCS based Novell server?
a)  Easier administration.  Wrong.  1)  You still have to know Novell.  2)
You'd probably have to purchase and learn ADSTAR for backup purposes if you
ever want to restore a single file from the IPCS.  If not ADSTAR then some PC
based package running on it's own server.
b)  Faster.  The IPCS' will never keep up with the flood of PC products coming
out on the market for processor performance.  The disk, even with RAID 5 on the
PC ain't a bad performer either.

Stop comparing Novell to NT if you hate NT so bad.  Start comparing Novell to
OS/400.  I say if you want to go to an IPCS why not go to Native OS/400 and
skip the Novell altogether?  This same logic is being applied to trying to run
Domino on the IPCS.  I hated Domino on the IPCS and threw in a NT server to run
it on instead.  I am going to Domino on Native 400 and like that.

CLEWIS@IQUEST.NET on 10/13/98 02:23:38 PM
Please respond to MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com@Internet