  • Subject: RE: 10 Newbie hurdles.From a MAC user to an A/S400 user
  • From: Neil Palmer <NeilP@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 07:17:12 -0400

I can sympathize with your frustrations, and I'm sure the news that
many of those problems wouldn't exist if you purchased a new AS/400
with the current software level isn't much comfort !   :-)

1)      Sounds like the control panel/clock battery had become discharged.
        Did you get many manuals with the system ?

2)      Looks like the old system wasn't "cleaned up" before you got it.

5)      Well, as you've discovered, V2R3 is about 6 releases behind and you
can't get that stuff from IBM anymore.
        You can run your system on V3R2, but you'd have to pay for the
upgrade.

6)      You probably do need to find the Application Development Tools -
somewhere !  ;-)

10)     TCP/IP on a V2 system ?  Forget it.  It was a billable extra charge
piece of code back on V2.
        It's included with OS/400 for V3.  I'd suggest you investigate
acquiring V3R2 for the system.
        You may find out it would be cheaper to get a brand new V4R3 RISC
Model 150 (pretty much ALL the software is      included with it).

Neil Palmer         DPS Data Processing Services Canada Ltd.
                                             AS/400~~~~~
Thornhill, Ontario,  Canada    ___________          ___  ~
Phone: (905) 731-9000  x238   |OOOOOOOOOO| ________  o|__||=
Fax:   (905) 731-9202          oo      oo   oo  oo   OOOo=o\
mailto:NeilP@DPSlink.com    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.DPSlink.com        AS/400  The Ultimate Business Server