  • Subject: Re: Newbie Questions
  • From: HAVEAJOB@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Oct 1998 00:19:51 EDT

OK, the token reply from the recruiter in the bunch...with a comment from a
different perspective.

I have owned two businesses, one of which was very labor intensive.  I always
kind of held the following philosphy, that I could hire an employee if they
were willing to do three things:  1) don't steal from me, including my
resources and time, 2) be willing to put forth effort and work hard, and 3) be
willing to listen and learn from what I told them.  Over the years, I found
that it was hard enough to find honest hard-working people to employ.  It was
really hard to find that gem of an employee that, when you dispersed a nugget
of information, you could almost see the wheels turning in their heads as they
processed the truths imparted.

The way I see it, if I were an IS employer or hiring authority (and many of
you out there are) I would be thrilled to have an employee ask ANY questions
and see them apply the knowledge, than see employees plod along satisfied with
the status quo.  As a recruiter, I see far too many resumes of candidates who
say they have 3 years of experience, but actually have 1 year of experience 3
times.

Lastly, to those who have followed the "newbie" discussion without much
interest, and to those who feel it to be a waste of time, I challenge you:
pick out a newbie and be that mentor they need.  When you are skilled at
something (once again, so many of you on this list are literally the respected
AS/400 leaders) there is a certain satisfaction on having passed along
knowledge to someone else.  We all know that there is absolutely NO shortage
of openings out there...teach someone else all you know so that the AS/400 is
perpetuated.  I know this will look corny, but I assert that the following
logic path is true on a macro scale:

no newbies ==> no oldbies ==> no talent ==> no AS/400 growth

Well, my two cents worth.

Dave Brown
Search Professinals, Inc.
888-917-1112
haveajob@aol.com

PS :  with apologies to qoutemeister Dean Asmussen, I offer the following:

"Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day.  Teach a man to fish, and you
feed him for a lifetime."  - Chinese saying

"Only the mediocre can always be trusted to be at their best."  - Max Beerholm