  • Subject: Re: Newbie Questions
  • From: Lou Schmaus <lschmaus@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Oct 1998 21:53:04 -0400

Glenn,

(CHGSYSVAL QSOAPBOX(*ON))

I couldn't disagree with you more! I believe the purpose of this forum
is to share information among your peers. Just because a particular peer
is a "newbie", and asks what many would consider a "silly" AS/400
question doesn't mean that the question is any less important than a
question you or I might ask about setting up IBM Firewall or using date
fields on a display. Given the level of AS/400 education that exists
today, this forum(and comp.sys.ibm.as400.misc) are probably among a
"newbie"'s greatest sources of help there is.

Granted, there is a lot to be said for 'RTFM' before putting a question
out on the forums. But how many students have access to a Softcopy CD,
much less the 80-100 lbs. of IBM manuals that USED to come with your
AS/400? Sometimes it is better(and faster) to ask somebody who knows the
answer than to spend days trying to figure it out yourself. One of the
reasons I have tripled my salary in the last 7 years as an AS/400
professional is that I got a job with a company of consultants who
didn't mind me asking "silly" questions(although they got MIGHTY TESTY
if I asked the same question more than three times!). What mattered was
that I LEARNED from those questions, and became a better programmer from
asking them.

(CHGSYSVAL QSOAPBOX(*OFF))

YEEESH!!!  I feel much better now.
--
Lou Schmaus
Creative Computer Associates, Inc.

--
The opinions expressed here are not necessarily those
of my employer, unless it is billable.