  • Subject: RE: Want to plugin some data into retreived msg using message subfile.
  • From: Bob Crothers <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Oct 1998 17:11:57 -0000

The RtvMsg command allows you to specify replacement data.  Each "&1"
field in the text of the message will be replaced with the appropriate
data per the message description.

Do a DSPMSGD on some of IBM's messages for an example.  In particular
the "field data".

For example, CAE0005 (in QCPFMSG on V3R7) has text of: "&1 Date
entered must be in the format &2.".

The fields are defined as &1 is *CHAR length 8, and &2 is *CHAR length
8.

When you RtvMsg (or SNDPGMMSG) and specified MSGDTA, then the first 8
characters will be replaced where &1 is, and &2 is the 2nd 8
characters.

Fields can be used more than once in a message.  Works pretty slick.

Bob