  • Subject: Re: UC - User Controlled opens
  • From: "James W. Kilgore" <qappdsn@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Oct 1998 22:48:12 -0700

Larry,

If a program -always- opens a particular file, IMHO, just let the system open
it.  If a program has several files where, depending on what is passed to the
program, only a minority of them are needed per call, you may choose to
explicitly open /close them.  If the same program is called repetatively, unless
you have a compelling reason to close a file, once opened, leave it that way.

In any case, it's an "it depends" issue for UC.

In the original case of multiple calls to the same program where each call
performs a SETLL/READ loop, one would be better off leaving the file open and
performing a return w/o LR on.  The big bite in the butt on repetitive calls is
ODP positioning and field initialization. If those things are taken care of,  it
would sure beat a cold start or a file open at each iteration.  IMO, since each
call positions the file cursor, closing and opening the file is just a waste of
time.

Just don't return with a record in a locked state!

James W. Kilgore
email@james-w-kilgore.com